Several times you might face problems while connecting devices to the USB port. It becomes the most annoying issue. Thus, if the USB port is not working on Windows 10, you should read this article. Here we share how to fix usb ports not working.
Before moving to the fixes of this problem, let’s learn about the causes why the USB port is not working on your Windows 10 PC.
What are the Reasons for USB Port Stopped Working in Windows 10
Here are some of the most common reasons why the USB port stopped working on your Windows 10 PC:
- Obsolete or corrupted drivers.
- Connection issues.
After comprehending why the USB port stopped working in Windows 10, let’s go through the fixes mentioned below.]
Quick Tips to Fix USB Port Not Working In Windows 10
Below listed are some of the top recommended methods to fix USB ports not working in Windows 10:
Fix 1: Uninstall the USB controller
- Open the Device Manager.
- Locate Universal Bus Controller and extend it.
- Right-click the topmost driver under the Universal Serial Bus section and select uninstall.
- Continue with the above steps till all the drivers get are removed from the Universal Serial Bus section.
- Start your PC again.
After that, you can reinstall the USB device again on your system
Fix 2: Install the Device Drivers Again
If you want to fix the USB port not working with the driver, then you need to reinstall the device drivers. To do so:
- Download and install the latest drivers for your USB device.
- Launch Device Manager.
- Tap Win +X keys together to open the menu box and select Device Manager from the list.
- Find the device driver and then right-click on it.
- Now select Uninstall device to remove the driver.
- Start your computer again to see the changes.
If you do not have the advanced knowledge to perform Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers download manually, then you must try the automatic method. To do it automatically you can use Bit Driver Updater. It can be used both for updating the drivers and boosting the performance of your system. Follow the instructions, to update drivers effortlessly:
- Download and install the Bit Driver Updater software from the manufacturer’s website.
- Evoke the tool.
- Tap on the scan option.
- Wait patiently till the scanning process get completed.
- After that, if you want to inspect a single driver, then click on the Update Now option. In case you want to get all the drivers updated in a single click, then choose the Update All option.
- Reboot your PC to see the changes.
Fix 3: Rebuild Power Management Settings for USB Controller
To save power by default, Windows turn off your USB controllers when it is not used, and turned on when it is required. In case the power settings are not turned on again, then you need to follow the below-listed steps to change power management settings for the USB controller:
- Press on Win + X keys at the same time.
- Launch Device Manager.
- Now you need to select USB Root Hub and right-click on it.
- Then choose Properties.
- Move to the Power Management tab.
- Ensure that Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is not marked.
- In case it is marked, then you need to remove the mark from that box.
- Press Ok to get the changes.
- Continue this process for all the USB Root Hub drivers.
- Start your PC again to save the changes.
Check whether the USB port started working on your Windows 10 PC or not.
Fix 4: Disable fast startup
- Launch Control Panel and select Power Options.
- From the left sidebar, pick the option to choose what the power button does.
- Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Locate Turn on fast startup under the Shutdown Settings and remove the mark from the box.
- Now choose to Save changes to get the effect.
After that check whether the issue persists or not.
Fix 5: Extract your laptop battery
In case your USB port is not working on Windows 10, then you need to remove your laptop battery.
On the basis of users, many of them have fixed the issue, by extracting the battery and holding the power button for 30 seconds or more.
This might discharge your laptop completely. Whereas few of the users recommended leaving the laptop overnight without a battery to discharge your system completely.
Hopefully, the issue is resolved.
Fix 6: Alter your registry
- Click on Win + R keys at the same to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit in the Run dialog box.
- Optional: You need to take a backup of the registry before modifying it.
- Select the file option.
- Now choose export under the file section.
- Now fix the export range as all and click on the safe location.
- Type the desired file name and select the save option.
- In the left pane, locate to
- You might find the key a little bit different on your system still it should start with 4d36e965 to find it without any difficulty.
- Right-click on UpdateFilters.
- Choose Delete.
- Modify that, right-click on LowerFilters.
- Reboot your PC.
Check whether the problem is still existing or not.
Fix 7: Upgrade your USB Root Hub drivers
In case your USB port stopped working in Windows 10, then you need to update your USB Root Hub drivers. Here, how it is:
- Evoke Device Manager.
- Extend Universal Serial Bus Controller and select USB Root Hub by right-clicking on it.
- Select Update Driver from the menu.
- Now click on Search automatically for updated driver software to install the necessary drivers automatically.
- Redo the above steps for all USB Root Hub devices on your computer.
After completing the above steps, check whether the problem is fixed or not.
Fix 8: Install the required updates
- Tap on Win + I keys together to open the Settings app.
- Locate the Update & Security option under the Settings app.
- Then select Check for updates.
- After that Windows will inspect and get the updates available.
Now check whether the issue is resolved or not.
So, the aforementioned methods help you to fix the USB port not working on Windows 10. You can choose one of the best options as per the requirement of your PC. If you find a better solution than this, please notify us in the comment section.
Hope you like it. Will be back soon with another post.